Thursday, October 8, 2009
The Annual Costume Conundrum
(Scary Manilow, Halloween, 1977)
Once again, I'm facing the age-old, last-minute dilemma: What should my Halloween costume be this year?
My options so far:
1) BEETLEJUICE, the old stand-by. Thankfully, I've never had to resort to this, but it's always on the list.
2) Curvacia and I thought about going as THE MANEATERS from SHE-DEVILS ON WHEELS, but the rest of our band doesn't seem as enthusiastic about it as we do, and the idea of a two-person motorcycle gang just isn't as threatening as it should be.
This idea is still on the table for discussion, though. I think it's a good one.
3) I've always wanted to go as forgotten side characters from sitcoms, like random guests stars on DOBIE GILLIS or any of the regulars at ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE. Unfortunately, this wouldn't require changing anything I wear on a daily basis, so the point is kind of moot.
4) We've often batted around the idea of doing a JOAN AND CHRISTINA CRAWFORD team costume, with Curvacia in cold cream and shoulder pads and myself with a pinafore and wire hanger bruises on my face.
5) Any sort of villain form the old Edgar Wallace KRIMI movies. A whip-wielding monk, or a guy with a skull-face slashing people with a razor, or some sort of hunchbacked strangler. Or better yet, a masked criminal mastermind with an army of superminions. .. This is actually my goal in life, not just an idea for Halloween costumery.